Dust off your best doggie photos or start snapping new ones, because once again we’re kicking off the annual BROOD calendar contest. Please read this entire page carefully before submitting your photos via our Calendar Contest Entry Form.
Contest Rules – Please Read VERY Carefully!
- Entry fee is $5 per photo, non-refundable.
- Submit as many photos as you like – however no more than six photos of any individual dog – and please note that each dog may win only once.
- Digital photos should be taken at the highest resolution allowed by your camera or cell phone. Photos that are not high enough resolution will be rejected.
- Each entry must include a completed Calendar Contest Entry Form.
- There will be twelve different winners for the twelve months. Entries with more than 1000 votes beyond the first 12 winners will be runners up and have their photos prominently displayed alongside the monthly winners.
- In general, no people in the photos. Any exceptions will be determined at the sole discretion of BROOD.
- All BROOD bassets or basset-mixes are eligible. Non-BROOD dog entries must be all basset.
- Photos of BROOD foster dogs can be submitted for free, just as long as they are true foster dogs and NOT foster failures!
- IMPORTANT – Format must be landscape (i.e., the photo is wider than it is tall), not portrait (i.e., taller than it is wide).
- Because the final size of the photo will be approximately 10 inches wide by 8 inches tall, all photos must be clear, focused and well-contrasted (see our Tips and Guidelines).
- Please do not PhotoShop or add text to your photos, or otherwise digitally manipulate photos (including collages), as this does not always work well for our calendar format.
- BROOD reserves the right to reject photos that are not landscape, that are not high enough resolution to make a good calendar, photos that do not conform to our contest rules, or ones that we deem inappropriate. Entrants with rejected photos will be provided the opportunity to submit substitutes.
- Note that any entries that were taken by a profession photographer MUST have written permission from that photographer for use in the contest. BROOD cannot be held liable for copyright infringements.
- Photo submissions must be received and paid for by April 6, 2020.
Please email us if you have questions about digital photos or digital photo quality.
For each Photo Entry:
- Completed Calendar Contest Entry Form is required (one form per entry please).
- Print of photo is NOT required but you may be asked to submit one at the discretion of BROOD.
Photo Guidelines (See our Tips and Guidelines for more help.)
Include seasonal references if possible
Wouldn’t it be nice to have a winner to match each month? Don’t be afraid to add a seasonal touch but PLEASE broaden your thinking beyond bassets in Santa hats!
Sharp photos are better
Camera movement is the #1 cause of blurry photos. Hold the camera steady by using both hands, resting your elbows on your chest, or by using a wall for support. Relax. Don’t tense up.
Use bright, natural light
Unless you are using studio lighting bright, natural light is best. A photograph is all about light so always think of how the light is striking your subject. Move around so that the sun is behind you and to one side. This front lighting brings out color and shades, and the slight angle (side lighting) produces some shadow to indicate texture and form.
The best shots are simple so move closer and remove any clutter from the picture. For best image quality, crop in the viewfinder.
Voting for Photos
- Voting online on the BROOD website begins soon after the entry deadline and will continue through the end of June. Each vote is $1.
- BROOD’s full-color wall calendars and desk calendars will be available for sale in September.
Paying Photo Entry Fees
Once you have submitted your photo(s) we offer two options for payment: Credit Card and PayPal. Note that photos of foster dogs are free.
Pay by Credit Card
You can make your payment directly with your credit card — Visa, MasterCard and Discover — without going through PayPal. Using this interface saves on the fees that BROOD incurs for credit card payments.
Pay by PayPal
Alternatively, you may pay by PayPal. To do this, click the PayPal Donate button below and follow the directions. If you do not currently have a PayPal account, you will be asked to set one up.